The following major programmes are being operated by the Ministry of Rural Development in rural areas,
- Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) for providing wage employment,
- National Rural Livelihoods Mission (NRLM) for self employment and skill development,
- Indira Awaas Yojana (IAY) for providing housing to BPL households,
- Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) for construction of quality roads
- National Social Assistance Programme (NSAP) for social pension
- Integrated Watershed Management Programme (IWMP) for improving the productivity of the land
Apart from this, the Ministry has plans for development of rural officers, information, education and communication, monitoring and evaluation, capacity.